The New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs of GFWC was founded in 1894 and founded the New Jersey College for Women in 1918 (now Douglass Residential Campus) The NJSFWC , the largest volunteer women's service organization in the state and a member of the General Federation of Womens Clubs, provides opportunities for education, leadership training and community service through participation in local clubs, enabling members to make a difference in the lives of others, one project at a time.

Please join us!

NJSFWC Headquarters
55 Labor Center Way
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
(732) 249-5474
http://www.njsfwc.org/

GFWC website:
http:/www.gfwc.org/

View all of our clubs in New Jersey:
www.njsfwc.org/index.php/article/index/5


Monday, September 28, 2015

NJSFWC Headquarters is 50 Years old!


During the first six years of existence, from 1894 until 1900, NJSFWC was 'homeless'. The Board of Directors met on alternative months in members homes. In 1900 a room at 885 Broad Street, Newark was acquired. In 1917, a room at the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark was placed at the Federation's disposal.

In 1919, a room at the Y.M.C.A. building in Newark was obtained for $200 a year and each Board member gave $5,00 of her scant expense allowance to cover the first six months' rent!

In July of 1959 the Federation moved to a four room suite in the Griffith Building, also in Newark and became the first real home to the Federation, where records could be stored and made available to club members. The space soon became tight and a committee met in May of 1964 to formulate plans for a permanent Headquarters building.

Recommendations were made to the Executive Committee for (1) the establishment of a fund for a new headquarters; (2) that the proceeds from the 1964 Federation Day at Strawbridge & Clothier be devoted to this fund and (3) the approval of a method for fundraising through the redemption of trading stamps.

Final approval for leasing the land adjacent to the Douglass College campus was granted by the Rutgers Trustees on October 15, 1964.

It was announced at a Headquarters Luncheon in 1965 that the quota for each club was one book of trading stamps per member, which was the equivalent of $2.00! There were also 40,000 Clubwomen at that time!

$53,000 had been received from stamps alone by June 1965 and ground breaking took place on September 18, 1965.

On May 1, 1966 the Headquarters building was formally dedicated and at the dedication luncheon, where 300 women attended, $134,228.46 had been received by the Headquarters fund!

In April 1967, the Trading Institute of America, Inc. presented the Federation with the first American Homemakers' Achievement Award for raising more than half the funds for the NJSFWC Headquarters by the collection of trading stamps. The State President, Miss Geraldine V. Brown was honored at a dinner at the Waldorf Astoria in New York and presented with a citation and a passbook redeemable for one million trading stamp.

The purchase was the Sarouk oriental rug which can still be found in the foyer at Headquarters!

Headquarters open house: Thursday, November 18th 10:30-12:00pm. Make your reservations early!