The New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs of GFWC was founded in 1894 and founded the New Jersey College for Women in 1918 (now Douglass Residential Campus) The NJSFWC , the largest volunteer women's service organization in the state and a member of the General Federation of Womens Clubs, provides opportunities for education, leadership training and community service through participation in local clubs, enabling members to make a difference in the lives of others, one project at a time.

Please join us!

NJSFWC Headquarters
55 Labor Center Way
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
(732) 249-5474
http://www.njsfwc.org/

GFWC website:
http:/www.gfwc.org/

View all of our clubs in New Jersey:
www.njsfwc.org/index.php/article/index/5


Thursday, November 20, 2014

NJSFWC Headquarters Open House


Over 100 Clubwomen attended the open house at Headquarters! Construction began on the building in October of 1965, so Headquarters will be 50 years old next year!
What a lovely time we all had!


NJSFWC President Jill Passaretti welcomed us all and we all received a 'favor' before we left.




Members of the Woman's Club of Parsippany Troy Hills



In April of 1967, the Trading Stamp Institute of America presented the Federation with the first American Homemakers' Achievement Award for raising more than half of the funds for the Federation Headquarters by the collection of S&H green stamps.

The State President at the time, Geraldine V. Brown was honored at a dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, and was presented with a citation and passbook redeemable for one million trading stamps. The stamp gift was used to 'purchase' the Sarouk original rug that is still in the foyer at Headquarters.

Monday, November 10, 2014

NJSFWC Supports Servicemen & Veterans


Remember our Veterans!

As far back as 1917, records show that clubwomen were supporting our soldier's and the war efforts. All clubs supported the three Liberty Loan drives, the sale of thrift stamps and engaged actively in Red Cross and War Relief Work with many clubs turning their clubhouses over to the Red Cross for its use during the war!

In October of 1917, it as resolved that the Federation would equip and maintain a Soldiers' Club at CAmp Dix.The 200 clubs in existence at the time provided money and furnishings. 'The Haversack' operated for 21 months and was visited by half a million soldiers. It was known all over the world as the only soldiers club of it kind on record - 25 years before a U.S. O was even thought of! The Federation also received a citation from the War Department for the work done at "THe Haversack".

Early in 1941, with the war raging in Europe, Fort Dix was reactivated and the Federation became affiliated with the Fort Dix Community Service, which was a group of well known organizations. THe State President at the time represented the Federation on the State Salvage Committee, and the State's War Service Committee. Two clubwomen were sent to Amherst College for training in Civilian Defense. The Federation had long been officially represented on the NJ Council of National Defense.

Clubs supported the sale of War Bonds and Stamps and in 1945 the goal for stamps and bonds was $1,000,000 for the "Air Amanda for Our Navy". THe quota was exceeded by thousands of dollars which purchased eleven Hell Cat fighter planes - 4 bore the name of NJSFWC and the others carried symbols showing that they were bought with bonds sold by individual clubs & districts!



Operation Cookie/ Candy begins in 1961 when 900 two-pound boxes of homemade cookies were mailed to service personnel stationed in Germany and Iceland during the Christmas holiday. This has become a popular annual project, which still exists today! In 1968, 4,080 boxes were sent and the Federation received a special citation for this project from the Air Defense command.

Regular visits to Lyons hospital were started in 1936 and clubs still support the hospital, among other Veteran's hospitals in New Jersey with in kind and monetary donations today.

This information was found in the 'Federation Milestones" book, a history of NJSFWC from 1894-1969.