The New Jersey State Federation of Women's Clubs of GFWC was founded in 1894 and founded the New Jersey College for Women in 1918 (now Douglass Residential Campus) The NJSFWC , the largest volunteer women's service organization in the state and a member of the General Federation of Womens Clubs, provides opportunities for education, leadership training and community service through participation in local clubs, enabling members to make a difference in the lives of others, one project at a time.

Please join us!

NJSFWC Headquarters
55 Labor Center Way
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
(732) 249-5474
http://www.njsfwc.org/

GFWC website:
http:/www.gfwc.org/

View all of our clubs in New Jersey:
www.njsfwc.org/index.php/article/index/5


Sunday, February 27, 2011

NJSFWC State Projects

2/27/2011

The 2010-2012 NJSFWC State Project is Gilda's Club/The Wellness Center

The first Special State Projects, from 1962 until 1970 were
devoted to the construction, furnishing and maintenance of the
New Jersey State Federation Headquarters' building.

In 1970, a new project and direction were chosen— projects to
support our communities and began with the Volunteer Program
at the New Jersey Training School for Boys at Skillman.

In 1976, the Eye Institute of NJ was selected as the SSP. In
1978, the NJSFWC re-visited an earlier effort with its SSP, the
Douglass Development Disability Center. This facility was
to provide special education for autistic children.

The goal of the 1982-1984 administration’s SSP was to equip 2
classrooms for severely handicapped children at the St John of
God School. Two years later the SSP shifted gears, the focus was
the Statue of Liberty restoration effort.

During the 1990’s a variety of SSP were enthusiastically
embraced by the volunteer members of the NJSFWC,
including the People Care Center, the New Jersey
Children’s Hospital AIDS Program.

Since 2000 our members and clubs continue to support our
localcommunities through special state projects for
the Valerie Fund,Canine Companions for Independence,
Community Food Bank, Domestic Violence Awareness and
Prevention and Autism NJ.

Gilda's Club Worldwide and The Wellness Community are pleased to announce that as of July 1, 2009, we have joined forces to become the largest provider of psychosocial cancer support worldwide, and will be extending our reach to even more people affected by cancer
For more information, visit their website at:
http://www.gildasclub.org/

Friday, February 18, 2011

Operation Cookie/Candy

2/18/2011
Operation Cookie/Candy is a New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs of GFWC sponsored project, which began in 1961 when 900 two-pound boxes of homemade cookies were mailed to service personnel stationed in Germany and Iceland during the Christmas holiday.

Many clubs still participate in this project. See photo's below of two clubs that participate in this project for Valentine's Day:


Some GFWC Woman's Club of the Denville-Rockaway area club members, who baked 60 dozen cookies and packed them, along with candy into valentine wrapped cans. They were donated to Cheshire House in Florham Park and to St. Peters Village in Denville.


The GFWC Woman’s Club of Marlton with residents of St. Mary’s Catholic Home, located in Cherry Hill.
The ladies of the club have been baking and donating goodies to St. Mary’s for many years. The cookies, along with candies, are placed into little bags decorated with hearts, and distributed to brighten the lives of the residents. The GFWC Marlton Woman’s Club donated 150 bags of cookies this year!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

General Federation of Women's Clubs

2/13/11
The NJSFWC is a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC),
an international women's organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service.

1868: GFWC's roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly (1829-1901), a professional New York journalist who wrote under the pen name of Jennie June, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and, in response, she formed a club for women. She chose the name Sorosis, a Greek word meaning "an aggregation; a sweet flavor of many fruits."

In 1901 The 56th Congress of the United States chartered GFWC and designated that the Federation be headquartered in Washington, DC.

In 1922, GFWC Clubwomen purchased 1734 N Street, NW in Washington, DC to serve as the Federation's International Headquarters. In addition to staff offices and rooms for meetings and receptions, one floor was designated to serve as an apartment for the International President.

In 1965, GFWC was awarded a stamp by the United States Post Office in honor of its 75th anniversary.

Please visit their website for additional information and historial facts:

http://www.gfwc.org/gfwc/History_and_Mission.asp?SnID=604677125